Informational Sheet About the Levies

March 24th, 2010 · 9:33 am  →  Documents

Informational flyer with facts about the school district mill levies.
[Download this as a pdf]

  • Share/Bookmark

Why We Need the Mill Levies

February 17th, 2010 · 8:40 am  →  Documents

Facts about the three mill levies (elementary levy, elementary technology levy, high school technology levy), and mill levies in general.
[Download this information as a pdf document]

MILL LEVIES GIVE OUR SCHOOLS FUNDAMENTAL SUPPORT

  • Helps us keep the “neighborhood school” concept: When kids can walk or bike to their schools (and families can connect with them), studies show improved learning. The elementary mill levy will help us keep neighborhood schools open for more kids across Billings.
  • Helps us replace “one time” money with an ongoing funding stream: As of now, the school budget relies on “one time” only funds from the legislature, with no mechanism for ongoing support. These mill levies will provide some local funding stability.
  • Helps us support teachers who fill needs beyond the classroom: Data shows most teachers in School District 2 spend between $300 and $1,500 out of their own pockets to help students—on everything from healthy food for homeless kids to supplies for those who can’t afford them.

MILL LEVIES ARE OUR LOCAL RESPONSIBILITY

  • By law, the State legislature only funds 80% of school budgets. Local communities are expected to fund the other 20%: Like every other community in the state, 20% of school funding is our local responsibility. Unlike most other communities, we’ve been neglecting our responsibility. Mill levies aren’t extras; they’re necessities.

MILL LEVIES ARE SMART INVESTMENTS

  • With more than 2,000 employees, School District 2 is an economic engine for our local economy: That’s 2,000 employees paying local taxes, buying from local businesses, volunteering for local organizations, and more.
  • A healthy education system fosters a healthy business environment: Medicine, finance, energy and other sectors rely on a strong local school system to help attract employees. Several organizations have said Billings’ track record of failed school mill levies has hampered efforts to attract and retain talent.
  • Total cost? Less than $4 a month for all three levies on a $100,000 home: The Elementary Operational Levy ($1,809,323), the Elementary Technology Levy ($1.413,882) and the High School Technology Levy ($1,099,459) will be $3.82/month or $45.84/year on a $100,000 home. That’s just 12.5¢ per day.
  • Share/Bookmark

A Vision for School District 2

February 1st, 2010 · 7:39 pm  →  Documents

School District 2 has a vision for its people, its systems and its standards. At Yes for Kids, we want to help make the vision a reality.
[Download this document as a pdf]

PEOPLE

  • A school culture that generates enthusiasm for learning for all students.
  • Students who value learning, appreciate cultural differences, and strive for excellence through dedication.
  • Support K-6 Neighborhood Schools so children can walk and bike, and families can connect with nearby schools.
  • Empowered teachers and staff who meet the needs of students through innovation and individualization.
  • Numerous points of communication (classroom, building and district) so families and our community can be involved with learning, partner in achievement, and transparently understand decisions.
  • Reach out to the community through partnerships to promote excellent academic and extra-curricular opportunity for our students.
  • Invest in our teachers and staff with state-of-the art technology and professional development to ensure successful 21st Century Learners.
  • Have teachers, staff, administrators, board members and students who practice accountability for excellence in learning.

SYSTEMS

  • Stay student-focused and increase learning by keeping classes within state accreditation standards.
  • Meet the needs of at-risk students with relationships and programs that promote individual success when they need it and where they need it.
  • Provide technological systems that deliver learning and promote achievement.
  • Invest in our infrastructure so that buildings are maintained, located appropriately, and able to promote student learning.
  • Foster growth and understanding with small learning environments.

STANDARDS

  • Provide developmentally appropriate learning environments
    for all students, including:

    • Interdisciplinary Teaming
    • Exploratory Programming
    • Activities and Clubs
    • Career Pathways
    • Post-Secondary Academics
    • Accelerated Learning
  • Set the highest standards and expectations for student learning.
  • Embrace data-driven accountability systems that yield continuous improvement and community awareness.
  • Graduate successful, responsible, contributing citizens.
  • Share/Bookmark